Technical Requirements for Valor Global Online
VGO is an online school for kids across the globe. For that reason, there are a few requirements necessary to ensure your child faces no technical problems and enjoys the best learning experience possible.
Please make sure your child has access to a computer that meets the following minimum specifications before their first class.
Students need either a broadband wired connection or a wireless connection that’s equivalent to 4G/LTE or better. The minimum download speed is 5Mbps, but 10Mbps is recommended. Here's an easy way to test your current internet speed.
Students need a laptop or desktop computer. We do not recommend Chromebooks, tablets, or phones for daily class work and interaction. Valor Global Online classes and resources are accessible on mobile devices, but are best experienced on laptop or desktop computers. Sometimes students will have limitations based on their device abilities.
The computer should either be a desktop no more than five years old (with a dedicated video card) or a laptop no more than three years old.
What's the best laptop for our students?
As kids get older, their best laptop choice will vary depending on their needs. As a parent, it’s important that you and your child are in sync about how they intend to use it and the size of the programs they want. It’s also important that you choose an operating system that serves your needs the best, that integrates well into your ecosystem of devices, and will last as long as you need it to. Other factors to consider include audio quality from the speakers and microphones, battery life, durability, and CPU/GPU performance.
Minimum device requirements:
- Memory (RAM): 4GB or higher
- Processor: 2Ghz or higher (Intel i3/i5/i7 or AMD equivalent)
- Dual and single-core laptops have a reduced frame rate when screen sharing (around 5 frames per second). For optimum screen-sharing performance on laptops, we recommend a quad-core processor or higher.
- Webcam: At least 720p, built-in or external
- Mic: built-in or external
- Audio: Working wired or bluetooth headphones
- An up-to-date operating system and Chrome browser (Windows or Mac)
- Students need a computer running either Windows 10 or above or Mac Big Sur 11 or above. We do not recommend Chrome OS, iOS, or Android for daily classes and coursework. Students should also use the Chrome browser for the best learning experience, not Safari, Firefox, Brave, etc.
- Stable internet connection (5 mbps upload/download speed)
- Newest version of Zoom installed and logged in
- Single user device
- Each student is highly encouraged to have their own personal device where they can stay logged in throughout the week to access their courses and messages from Valor Global Online.
- Physical keyboard
- Not required, but HIGHLY recommended for course work.